Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sabbathless Christianity

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.  Matthew 11:28-30


This is often our invitation: "Come to Jesus and get to work."

This is Jesus' invitation: "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

Now, Jesus did call us to be fishers of men. And fishing can be hard work. There's a lot of preparation involved, a lot of considering of the conditions, constant positioning, setting the right lures or casting the net just right. But a lot of fishing is also just sitting there. Sometimes fishing just looks like doing nothin'.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for Jesus is nothing -- because he doesn't need anything -- and most times the best thing you can be for him is still.

Be still, and know that I am God . . .
-- Psalm 46:10a

From Jared Wilson

No comments:

Post a Comment