Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Prayer About My Restless Antsy Heart

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” Psalm 46:10
Heavenly Father, I don’t have “ants in my pants”, but I am antsy. I don’t have “restless leg syndrome”, but I do have a restless heart. That’s why the command to be still and know that you are God, comes like a life-giving rebuke and a kiss from heaven. Please bring the settling and centering power of the gospel to bear—for my sake and the benefit of those around me.

I’m not sure what all’s going on inside of me. I haven’t been able to identify all the issues… but I know I’m not as peaceful, quiet or trusting as I want to be… or as you intend.

When I get in this anxious, edgy, squirmy place I usually run to my control idols. I try to micro-manage the chaos… and whoever and whatever is in sight. I start acting like an orphan or the 4th member of the Trinity… vacillating between irritation and indifference.  I either multiply my words ad nauseam or withdraw into a sulky silence. I cannot remember a time when any of this ever led to anything good. It usually makes me less than a joy to be around.

So I humble myself before you, loving Father. I come boldly to an occupied throne of grace…  throwing down my plastic scepter and presumption about being in control. You will be exalted among the nations, so be exalted in my heart… my day… my circumstances. You are God and I am not. You are in control and I am not. You are working in all things for our good and your glory.

Lord Jesus, take captive my roaming thoughts. As you spoke and stilled the tossing waves for nervous disciples, speak and still my disquieted emotions—even if nothing or no one around me changes. As you harnessed the power of the wind, harness the passions of my will, that I might obey the gospel of grace. So very Amen, I pray, in your mighty and merciful name.

A Prayer About My Restless Antsy Heart is a post from: Heavenward by Scotty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment